Monday, January 30, 2012

"Do Much Good"

Do Much Good collage by Rebecca Sower
Do Much Good collage, a photo by Rebecca Sower on Flickr.

The title of this work reminds of this week's Sunday School lesson. In Deuteronomy, we studied God's (through Moses) instructions to the Israelites before they were to enter the Promised Land. God knew that the Israelites wouldn't naturally settle into the land full of love and generosity for each other. Some would own land, and others would work the land for them. Some would be orphans, and some widows, requiring justice. Some would require loans from those with money to lend. God instructed that all should treat each other with respect: to give generously and not even expect repayment; to treat the poor with dignity; and to demand justice for those who cannot get justice for themselves.

There are lessons for me in Deuteronomy. I am really working on the "give generously" part - giving out of love and not out of duty, and not expecting recognition or "credit." I want to "do much good." And I know that only when my heart is right can I ensure that.

No comments: